Graded Exercise Test
- Heart rate, blood pressure, ECG response to exercise
- Assess for exercise-induced ischemia by ECG criteria
INSTRUCTIONS FOR A REGULAR STRESS TEST
- The test takes approximately one hour.
- Please refrain from having any caffeine or nicotine prior to the test. Please bring a list of your medications, including dosage and frequency. Take your medications at your usual time, unless your physician has indicated otherwise. You may take your medication with juice, milk or a piece of toast if necessary.
- You may have water or juice before your stress test, but you should abstain from solid foods for at least one (1) hour prior to test. If you are a diabetic, please follow your normal daily diet regimen.
- Please wear comfortable clothes and shoes for your stress test. Slacks or shorts are preferred and shoes should be appropriate for brisk exercise on a treadmill or a bicycle.
- Prior to the test you will complete a consent form. Our exercise specialist will then place several electrodes on your skin so that your heart rate and rhythm can be watched throughout the test. You will then exercise by walking on a treadmill or pedaling a stationary cycle; both start out slowly and then gradually increase in speed and / or resistance. It is important to exercise as long as you can. You will be monitored until your heart rate, blood pressure and EKG return to normal resting levels.
IF YOU NEED TO CANCEL YOUR TEST, PLEASE CALL (248) 545-0070 AT LEAST 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE.